Saturday, October 22, 2005

The Beatles 1967-1970 (The Blue Album)



The second installment of Beatles greatest hits.

This is where the boys had changed their style from "Yeah, yeah, yeah I love you, you love me and we're happy together" to more serious stuff.

Was it the influence from the summer of love and India? Probably.

But, the songs were still great and memorable, still chilling and hair-raising.



From this album I chose to transfer to my MP3 player the following songs:

  1. STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER - On my visit to Liverpool a couple of years ago, I went to Strawberry Fields orphanage. The place is like a shrine to the Beatles now and here's a picture of the gate

(God that was a bit hard to do, Blogger would put the pic at the top of the post and I had to drag it and everytime I wanted to write something it changed the font. Come on, guys, make it easier!!!)

2. PENNY LANE: Another Liverpool reference and here's another pic (here I go again)


The song is just Beatles to me. It speaks to my heart so much. Was I Liverpudlian in my previous life?

3. SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - I love this song, it's so uplifting and I love the movie, it's so Psychedelic. And the end where Paul sings "I don't really want to stop the show" and introduces Billy Shears... It's just breathtaking. Live8 version was cool too. I was at work but I wouldn't miss the beginning for the world. So I sneaked into the ladies and put my radio on. Can you imagine someone dancing in a cublcle? Ridiculous... I had to pretend I used the bathroom, so I washed my hands afterwards... Ha ha ha.

4. WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS - Now, here's Billy Shears, erm, I mean Ringo singing. His voice is so unique. Who said he's out of key? Oh, I think it was Ringo. Well, he's not. Lovely song.

5. LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS - Amazing bass from Paul and vocals from John. I don't care about the drug innuendos and references and all that stuff. I just listen to the music.

6. A DAY IN THE LIFE - This has to be my favourite Beatles song. From start to finish the music and the lyrics blow me away. John's voice is beyond the beyond (sorry, Pete, for borrowing your expression for The Beatles). I think I listen to this song every day on my way to work and still can't get enough of it.

7. ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE - Sorry, not one of my favourites, but still a good song. Whenever I hear it though it reminds me of Keith Moon on the satellite broadcast, playing drums along Ringo. He is soooo cute. And what an honour for him to be playing with The Beatles on such a big event.

8. HELLO GOODBYE - My mother always tells me that that was the song blasting on the radios in London all the time we were there, back in 1967. I am so jealous of her remembering that amazing time.

9. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR - Another favourite. Does anyone know if they have released the film in any kind, shape or form?

10. HEY JUDE - The perfect ending to all concerts? Well, Paul McCartney thinks so...

But for me it has a different meaning.

When I was a little girl I had scoliosis. By the time I was 15 it was quite serious. I had to have surgery and in Greece the doctors would say to my mom that the only way to do it is by removing a...few spine bones. My mom almost had a heart attack when she heard that, so she wrote to all the hospitals in Europe. One of them was in London and the reply was a leaflet with the lyrics "Take a Sad song and make it Better" at the cover. The S was a curved spine and the B's straight line was a straight spine. They explained that the operation would not involve removing anything but they have to put a stainless steel column on my back. Anyway, that hospital had a waiting list of three to four years, but I had the operation in Lyon, France (oui,oui) that same year and it was very successful. I'm strong as an ox now but I still have to be careful with my back.

All together now: "Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, Heeey Juuude"

Listen to it: again any time of the day, just relax and think of England...

Phewww, that was a long post!

1 comment:

PTfan said...

I am in the Shout. You heard me all the way across the ocean? Cool!

Check out my blog today. I posted a painting that I would love your feedback on.

Long Live Rock!!!!