Friday, October 21, 2005

The Beatles 1962-1966 (The Red Album)

I can't remember when was the first time I listened to The Beatles. It must have been in my mother's womb, since I was born right in the middle of Beatlemania and the next year we came to London for a year. The Beatles were everywhere!
So everything was fed into my subconscious...
I won't repeat the adjectives that other people had said millions of times: "amazing","fabulous","incredible" and so on. We know these are true.
I'll just say one thing:
I absolutely love them. Their songs make my mind travel back to a place and time where I always wanted to exist. Well, I kind of did, but only as a baby.

From this album I chose the following songs:

  1. LOVE ME DO - lovely, sweet, happy, John's harmonica: one of the best known intros ever!
  2. PLEASE PLEASE ME - oh, yeah, like I please you...
  3. SHE LOVES YOU - with a song like that, you know, you should be glad
  4. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND - I have the happiest memories of my first year in London with this
  5. ALL MY LOVING - even the Gypsy Kings have covered it (oh good Lord!)
  6. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - after a Hard Day's work this is the best song to listen when you walk out your office's door
  7. I FEEL FINE - I can't describe what the feedback at the beginning does to me...
  8. TICKET TO RIDE - sad at the beginning, but I love the "my baby don't care" at the end
  9. WE CAN WORK IT OUT - Yes! The most optimistic song...
  10. DAY TRIPPER - I had a long distance call the other day and my 13 year-old nephew was playing me the intro on the guitar. I was shouting to him "Don't stop!"
  11. NOWHERE MAN - I love this song in the Sgt Pepper movie
  12. IN MY LIFE - what lyrics!
  13. PAPERBACK WRITER - I'm always singing it when I go to WHSmith's, lol
  14. ELEANOR RIGBY - just sends chills down my spine

I highly recommend that you get these songs, (if you've lived in another planet for the past 43 years and you don't have them).

These people knew how to make sounds that mattered, lyrics that stick to the mind, songs that will stay fresh forever!

Listen to it: everywhere, any day, all day, and all of the night. Can't put a limit on The Beatles...

1 comment:

Bri said...

Hi Marietta,
Great idea for a blog post! I love it.

My teenage son discovered all these songs, and right now he's got his cell phone so that the ringer plays "Eleanor Rigby". What an awesome album. And the memories we have in there...deep!

Hugs,
Brina